Amorphous Steel Feedstock Properties
SHS 7574 HVOF is an iron-based amorphous steel alloy with a nanoscale microstructure that features extreme corrosion resistance in high chlorine, salt fog, concentrated salts and seawater environments. SHS 7574 also provides a metallic glass coating alternative to electrolytic hard chromium.
Pre-alloyed powder, gas-atomized.
The Properties of HVAF SHS-7574 Amorphous Metallic Glass Coatings
- Outstanding corrosion resistance in high chlorine, salt fog, concentrated salt and seawater environments.
- Can be finished to very high surface specifications for use as a replacement for hard electrolytic chrome coatings.
- High bond strength, low porosity and high impact resistance.
- Corrosion resistance is superior to crystalline austenitic stainless steel and nickel-based superalloys.
|Apparent metallographic porosity|
|Bond strength to carbon steel|
|Maximum coating thickness (as-sprayed)|
|Maximum working temperature|
Typical Applications of HVAF Amorphous Metallic Glass Coatings
- Grindable with silicon carbide wheels
- Excellent resistance to abrasive wear and erosion
- Low coefficient of friction
- Fair impact resistance
Usually applied with Kermetico HVAF spray & blast technology.
Protection against abrasive wear, erosion and sliding wear, as well as general corrosion:
- sealing rings
- wear plates
- hydraulic cylinders
- clutch hubs
- pulverized coal and fluidized bed boiler waterwall tubing
We do not recommend the coating for parts exposed to fatigue.
Kermetico HVAF Equipment to Spray Amorphous Metallic Glass Coatings
Kermetico designs and manufactures three families of HVAF thermal spray equipment
- Convertible HVOF and HVAF equipment:
- Multi-purpose HVAF AK systems, with a range of spray guns:
- AK7 – a high power gun for the thermal spray of large parts
- AK5 – a compact gun to spray smaller parts, thin walls and complex surfaces
- AK-ID – an 80 mm (3.15”) and larger internal diameter spray gun
- AK-IDR – a rotating ID gun to spray 4” (100 mm) and larger bores
- AK-HH – a handheld gun for on-site coating
- Additional equipment:
Kermetico Inc. – Material Science Excellence, HVAF and HVOF Equipment Manufacturing and Thermal Spray Coating Services Since 2006
We create equipment that helps material scientists, engineers and business managers achieve their goals.
We have installed more than 60 Kermetico HVAF systems in the USA, Europe, Japan and China.
Some of the systems are at work in Universities and National Labs, but most of them are used in production thermal spray shops.
We proudly design and produce our HVAF thermal spray equipment in California and install it all over the world.
You can visit our R&D center in Benicia to meet our designers and see our HVAF and HVOF equipment in action.
We also deposit HVAF and HVOF thermal spray coatings for customers in North America – ourselves and through our network of partners.